General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

"That DAMN Helmet Law!!!"

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: "That DAMN Helmet Law!!!"

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...helmet_review/

In the case of fatal accidents, there was one more important discovery in the Hurt Report: There were essentially no deaths to helmeted riders from head injuries alone.

Some people in the study, those involved in truly awful, bone-crushing, aorta-popping crashes, did sustain potentially fatal head injuries even though they were wearing helmets. The problem was that they also had, on average, three other injuries that would have killed them if the head injury hadn't.

In other words, a crash violent enough to overwhelm any decent helmet will usually destroy the rest of the body as well. Newman put this into perspective. "In most cases, bottoming [compressing a helmet's EPS completely] is not going to occur except in really violent accidents. And in these kind of cases, one might legitimately wonder whether there is anything you could do."

In 1995 2,230 motorcyclists died and approximately 58,000 were injured in highway crashes in the US. NHTSA estimates that motorcycle helmets reduce the likelihood of a fatality by 29 percent in a crash. In NHTSA's latest survey helmet use was reported to be 34 to 54 percent in areas with no helmet use laws or laws limited to minors.

Wear a helmet... dont be stupid..... for those who dont wear one, you do realize that the road is harder than your head right....

Old 05-15-2007, 03:03 PM

Yesterday morning, a guy on a Honda rocket ran into the back of a semi that had stopped for construction traffic. No helmet!!!! Why!!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

helmets keep your face in one peice, so your able to have a open casket funeral...lolj/k

Old 05-15-2007, 03:17 PM

Oh Hoedogg!

Old 05-15-2007, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member

The optional helmet law was just passed a few years ago here in Pa. I still shake my attached head when I see all the Harley riders and fat girlfriends without them. I watched the aftermath and called 911 when I witnessed a guy on a Goldwing run smack in the back of a mini van with a half helmet on. His teeth were up through his lips etc. Also how about Ben Rothisberger ( however it's spelled ) wrecked his Busa? didn't even say anything about it. I'll always have a lid and leather on, even if I visit my girlfriend 3 miles down the backroads!...and I'm an idiot!

To each his own anyway.....

Old 05-19-2007, 02:38 AM

Jeez- I would never ride without a full face helmet- dont know how the others live - don't want to know!

Old 05-19-2007, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

So, Mr. anti-helmet guy is here talking about his crazy motorcycle ideas again.This time he is teaching me how to ride my bike! lolThe guy seems to think I don't know anything about riding, or safety for that matter. I guess it makes the night interesting though. Apparently, he believes in order to quickly avoid something in the road, I need to lean the bike one way while quickly and abruptly jerking the handlebar in the opposite direction! I may not be the best rider in the world, but aside from basically loosing control, if you're going fast enough, that would likely put you into a dangerous wobble! WTF is this guy talking about??? Then, he started ranting on again about how deadly helmets are.
Sounds like he might be trying to describe your basic swerve keep your weight light ie.stand slightly, kick the bars one way then slam em back the other before you go off the road let the bike move under you. im with you on the helmet besides the protection its hard to see and hear without it for me it makes the ride more comfortable

Old 05-19-2007, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rains

Jeez- I would never ride without a full face helmet- dont know how the others live - don't want to know!

Plus a skid lid looks retarted on a sport bike

Old 06-02-2007, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Lost an uncle about 3 1/2 years ago because of the so called ' show ' helmets .......HD rider by the way ............no offense to harley riders meant ..........He would have survived with a quality helmet .
WEAR A D!*#N HELMET ..................PLEASE .
Here's my .02

Old 06-02-2007, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree with mikey on that one don't be stupid wear your gear.