General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

"That DAMN Helmet Law!!!"

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default "That DAMN Helmet Law!!!"

We got this new cleaning guy at my work on Friday, and he's an old Harley rider too. The first thing he asked me was "who's Harley is that sitting outside the building?" (referring to one of my "hard-headed" co-workers.) He then went on to say that he used to ride Harleys back in the day until Nebraska came out with that "damn helmet law" in the eighties, and ruined it all for motorcyclists. What??!!! I thought. Not another old guy that's still pissed off about the helmet law.[:@] I swear, almost every old Harley rider in this state bitches about the helmet law. The old guy even told me how his Wife and him did their own research, and came to the conclusion that helmets are more dangerous than riding without one. Can I say: BullSh*t!

It's irritatingwhen people are so convinced of one thing, that nothing on earth can ever change their mind. Many Harley riders, and chopper riders alike are this way as I have found. It's about rebellious fools who don't want to be told what to do. My Harley riding co-worker is the same exact way.

HELMETS DO SAVE LIVES!

Old 03-31-2007, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: "That DAMN Helmet Law!!!"

"If you can't change your mind how do you know you still have one." I am not sure who said it but it's a good one.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:03 PM

no offense to harley riders, but thats just insane. When i had my old 1000rr those guys would tell me how dangerous sport bikes were and how i was gonna die on it. None of them wore helmets. I said, "i'm the one wearing a helmet and leathers...yer wearing sunglasses and a vest....it doesn't matter how good you are at riding, a car will hit you just as fast as it will hit me, and i'm gonna live."

I don't understand that ****. I NEVER ride without a helmet.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, I was that way on the streets. Took a black cat through the front spokes and the wobble to think that helmets were ok for the streets.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Some real winners out there

Old 04-01-2007, 05:57 AM
1st Gear Member

What gets me even more is that since you have to wear a helmet here, why not get a good one? My co-worker's helmet isn't even DOT approved! It's just a cheap generic brain bucket helmet. Although, he was talking about the "new" carbon fiber helmet Harley came out with. He thought it was a first by the motorcycle industry until I let him know they have been around for several years now in the sportbike world. Harley riders must be a little behind the times.[&:]

Old 04-01-2007, 08:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I thought all harley riders had German half helmets with the spike on top?

Old 04-01-2007, 08:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Unfortunately, Most Harley riders could never be that cool!

Old 04-01-2007, 08:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I personally would do the spartan helmet thing!

That would be awesome! lol

Old 04-02-2007, 09:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Cure him of his idiocy:

Go to the store, buy two canteloups... I think that's how it is spelled.

bring him, the melons, and an old-*** helmet from your grandpa's garage out to the parking lot. Grab one melon and whip it straight down at the pavement. Advise him that the result is what happens at less than 30 miles an hour. Take the 2nd melon and strap it inside the helmet. Throw the helmet straight down at the pavement - top first. Dust off your hands and tell him to clean up the mess. Say nothing more. Walk away.

If that doesn't spell it out for him, nothing will.