Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

Steering Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:05 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Steering Stabilizer

hmm, debate mode: BR at a buck 40 straight line. Colliding with an 1100 when the rider and you do a side to side collapsing of fairings, pushes you off with a tank slapper. You ride it out. So where would the damper be of benefit?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I tend to agree with Drag. I think the damper can mask some chassis problems (and rider problems, but that's a different fix) which don't become apparent until the damper won't save the situation and it's too late. Are they "cool?" Yeah. Great idea? Yeah. Do they work? Yeah. Do you NEED one? Mmmm, probably not, 98% of the time.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Most if not allracebike have steering dampers and almost all the newer 600cc plus sportbikes are starting to have them on stock. I know that my 03 636 needs one bad Got a hyperpro on her). On a racebike, if you get a tank slapper, you will lose time trying to ride it out or wait for things to calm down so it's used as a preventative tool. By the time you recover, you may be heading off the track, road or into an oncoming car. The new supersport bikes have so much more power (especially the 1000's) that during acceleration, the front wheel will come up and if it isn't straight when it touches the road, it will try and starighten itself leading to a tankslapper. This will be worse if still leaned over. You cannot react fast enough to correct the wobble and actually make it worse by fighting it. The damper does exactly what the name states; dampens the wobble/ tank slapper. Bottom line: They do Work and are necessary even on a bike with the suspension tuned perfectly. Even MotoGP bike have them and I'm sure their suspensions are setup a lot better that ours.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Maybe I should've said "do I need one...."
Speed, I won't dispute your argument; you're probably right. One more reason to keep my old 9; I can control it.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:31 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, maybe so. But I have not had a ride yet that a damper is of the first importance to need it. But speeds quote
On a racebike, if you get a tank slapper, you will lose time trying to ride it out or wait for things to calm down so it's used as a preventative tool. By the time you recover, you may be heading off the track, road or into an oncoming car.
makes the most sense. Losing some time I can see.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:11 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

hmm, maybe so. But I have not had a ride yet that a damper is of the first importance to need it. But speeds quote
On a racebike, if you get a tank slapper, you will lose time trying to ride it out or wait for things to calm down so it's used as a preventative tool. By the time you recover, you may be heading off the track, road or into an oncoming car.
makes the most sense. Losing some time I can see.
now take the race bike and put it on the street, ie.. rain grooves on the freeway, theres a spot on the 91 close to the 110 thats so grooved out. it will catch you. with my set up and knowing its there it still gets me. thats good stuff

Old 02-06-2008, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

is there a difference between the types of dampers? I have an Ohlins rod type and Im wondering how it differs feel wise from the GPR stem type dampers