Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

Steering Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Steering Stabilizer

I have a question about steering stabilizers. Is it worth it to buy and is it effective? And does it hinder the ability to make sharp turns? A guy at a dealership was trying to convince me that it makes a big difference in the safety dept.in riding. I was just wondering...

Old 12-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Steering Stabilizer

Mmmm, yeah, BUT: you need to check your chassis and suspension first to make sure everything is in alignment and adjusted properly. If you're concerned enough to need a damper, (aside from the cool factor...) i.e., if you're having high speed wobble, headshake in the turns, etc. AFTER you'veensured your chassis and suspension are true, then yes, it would benefit you. Does it hinder ability to make sharp turns?No. The "guy at the dealership" a.) probably just bought one for his bike and thinks they're great, b.)has an overstock of them sitting in the back room, c.) actuallyrides hard enough to need one and for some reason thinks everyone else needs one too.
If your bikedoesn't do anything wobbly or feel loose in the turns, then you probably don't need one, unless you ride an old 2-stroke triple or 900Z. Do they help? Yeah, but only if your bike needs the help.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:37 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, guess that I do not ride hard enough. But I totally agree on the suspension setup and knowing your ride.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats good to know...I have not experienced any of the things you mentioned so I think I'm just fine. Also I have not rid my baby since November and I did not really have the opportunity to ride hard, which I would like to stray from for a while.
I believe that it is choice(a). The guy was telling me about how he just bought one and it is the best thing that has ever happened to him since motorized bikeslol. Thanks for thehelp!

Old 12-11-2007, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Hmmmm, correct answer is "a."

Old 12-11-2007, 03:01 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Was thinking about selling my damper from the 10r since the ride is so stable. But will keep it for the next owner when that time comes. Point being, a set up ride for that rider really does not need a band aide. Although having abit of assistance at one time or another is a good thing when needed. Just does not happen that often to require the damper. As you can tell, I am not sold on dampers.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:34 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

my bandaid pays off in the canyons and screwed up roads but drags right, set the bike up to your build and riding style and go from there. you will know if you need one or not.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

mine was on my bike when I bougth it, would not bother otherwise

Old 12-15-2007, 05:11 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fivepointnine

mine was on my bike when I bougth it, would not bother otherwise
so was mine. Does not mean it is worth the few grams of wt though.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Is it worth the money....Ya, I think so. It's like wearing your lid. You might not ever need it, but when the time comes, you woulda wished you had it.

I've only had a headshake once, and a tank slapper once. The slapper happend doing about 70 mph, going around a very slight curve on a very small hill, hit a rutt the wrong way, and slap, slap, slap.....Had a passenger too. Would the stabilizer helped that situation, I think so.

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer