Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

securing helmet to Ninja 500

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Default securing helmet to Ninja 500

Hello
I have a little problem, and maybe you guys can help me out. I'm trying to use the helmet lock mechanism on my Ninja 500, but the straps on my AGV helmet are too short, so it's impossible to actually lock it in place. Is there any other way/method to achieve this?
Any help would be appreciated

-r.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:43 AM
Default RE: securing helmet to Ninja 500

This one's an easy one, even for a relative novice like me(less than 8,000 miles of riding experience so far). I had the same problem. You can get these little metal bars called helmet-clip extenders, or something similar, at most bike shops.They're about 3 or 4 inches long, slide through the metal clasps attached to the helmet strap with a hole on the end the metal barthat allows you to hook it to that little lockable helmet bar on the side ofNinjas. I suppose someone could take a pair of scissorsor a knife to the chin strap and steal the helmet off the bike, but I'm a generally trusting sort of guy and besides they'd lose their cojones for having done so, so I figure that's likely not to happen. Two for 8 bucks or something. They sold them like ears, in pairs only. Hope this helps.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:23 AM

ORIGINAL: j_christopherhall

This one's an easy one, even for a relative novice like me(less than 8,000 miles of riding experience so far). I had the same problem. You can get these little metal bars called helmet-clip extenders, or something similar, at most bike shops.They're about 3 or 4 inches long, slide through the metal clasps attached to the helmet strap with a hole on the end the metal barthat allows you to hook it to that little lockable helmet bar on the side ofNinjas. I suppose someone could take a pair of scissorsor a knife to the chin strap and steal the helmet off the bike, but I'm a generally trusting sort of guy and besides they'd lose their cojones for having done so, so I figure that's likely not to happen. Two for 8 bucks or something. They sold them like ears, in pairs only. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help. I decided to go with a cable security lock, Kryptonite R4. Hopefuly it will do the job.
By the way I guess it's also possible to secure your jacket with something like that.

Cheers
-g.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:35 AM

I'm not sure that that won't be a waste of money unless your helmet has ear holes or other holes through the actual helmet.But I think you'd have the same risk and problemswith securing a jacket that way too.But its kind of like the difference between breaking somebody's door down/entering their property to rob them and casually picking up something that doesn't belong to you(like my ex-girlfriend) and walking away with it. If its tied or locked downsomeone then has to make a conscious decision to steal it rather than hitting and running with something that looks niceand just happens not to be tied down, spur of the moment type of thing. Somebody breaking inis doing it premeditatedly not justoff thecuff. Same thing probably with cutting your helmet or jacket offyour bike if its locked to itwhereas someone else might just see it, like it and grab it if its not secured. Have fun out there and take care.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:40 AM

I'm not sure that that won't be a waste of money unless your helmet has ear holes or other holes through the actual helmet.But I think you'd have the same risk and problemswith securing a jacket that way too.But its kind of like the difference between breaking somebody's door down/entering their property to rob them and casually picking up something that doesn't belong to you(like my ex-girlfriend) and walking away with it. If its tied or locked downsomeone then has to make a conscious decision to steal it rather than hitting and running with something that looks niceand just happens not to be tied down, spur of the moment type of thing. Somebody breaking inis doing it premeditatedly not justoff thecuff. Same thing probably with cutting your helmet or jacket offyour bike if its locked to itwhereas someone else might just see it, like it and grab it if its not secured. Have fun out there and take care.
The lock wasn't much, so if it doesn't do the job, it's alright. I'll try the extending clips in that case. And a good point regarding theft deterrance too. I live in a pretty safe city, so hopefuly the knives the kids here carry, won't be too effective in a theft situation.

Cheers
-r.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ok, hmm call me whatever! But my AGV lid goes with me at all times. I cannot answer your question on securing the lid to your ride.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

You figure though that if somebody clips the chin strap, then the helmet becomes useless.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:27 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sinkoman

You figure though that if somebody clips the chin strap, then the helmet becomes useless.
Yup