Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

Safest Brand of Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Safest Brand of Helmet

I spent hours the other night looking at helmets and i gotta say Suomi and Shoei have some really cool ones. My god i didnt realize how expensive they are. As far as safety rating is concerned, what is the best out?

Old 02-04-2007, 03:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Safest Brand of Helmet

What is a popular brand leather jacket of us guys?

Old 02-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

You seen this yet? http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testin...218/index.html

A jacket question? I like Bates and Z custom leathers. A lot of opinions on that also.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:36 AM

I have been researching the same things and your not gonna believe this...z1r has the highest impact rating! Yes its one of the cheapest helmets on the market but it has a higher impact rating than any of the big name manufactorers

Old 02-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

i like my icon gear. shoei helmets are tight fitting to me so spending the money on it kinda pissed me off, it never broke in and was just uncomfortable to me. best thing to do is hit up a shop and try on as many brands as you can, find the one you like and your size, then go online and get a better deal. check out www.speedwerks.com great prices on all brands. jackets, pants, boots, all icon. my only recamendation on buying icon is to try it on before you buy it.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd have to second Icon. Great prices and great quality. Been through atleast one accident that could have ended with one less motorcycle rider and my Icon gear (Helmet, Jacket) got me through it with a minor concussion and a few cuts. Certified by me as F-150 proof.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Lol mav,

i saw a deal online for a used icon jacket, gloves, and helmet for $400. it was all barely used. something to consider i guess.

i like the shoei rf 1000/tzr stratum OR scorpion exo 400sting/ exo 400 warhawk

Old 02-07-2007, 05:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm looking into this one for my next helmet..... the rf-1000 shoei strife!
From my reasarch it seems to bea pretty good deal..... and yes the graphics help!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2597/0C7BF512430E4757ADBBEF1DE6CD78FD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Yup, definitely try them on if possible. But the break-in of course you can only imagine. Of course I prefer my AGV's, but they fit me and have had good luck with them. My avitar only shows two agv's, because my first one and me had a slow get off entering T1 at PIR.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:21 AM
1st Gear Member

definitely try the helmets on every brand fits different and the sizing can be different from brand to brand too. For instance I wear an Arai RX-7 in Medium and a HJC Cl series in XS. Just a note Arai offers three different helmet shapes, long, oval, and round oval. Go with what feels best because a helmet that does not fit properly can be irritating and potentially harmful. Most brands these days offer adjustable cheekpads too. So if the helmet fits right on your head but say is too tight in the cheeks ask your dealer to switch the cheekpads for you.

A helmet should be snug but not so tight it gives a headache. A good way to tell if it will give you a headache is pressure on your forehead which will bother you when you wear the helmet for long periods of time. I fit helmets on people 6 days a week and a good shop should spend time with you to make sure find the right match.

Quick Reply: Safest Brand of Helmet