Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

looking for a good first jacket!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:48 AM
Default looking for a good first jacket!

i'm am new to the bike scene, and have picked out my helmet, an x7-corsair from arai, but now i am pondering jackets and was hoping to get some feedback from you guys on what brands have been known to be stronger, and also as much safe as you can get while still maintaining some comfort. i def. want padding and something not very bulky, and something not extremely crazy, mostly like a flat leather or black color. do yall recommend leather, or the perferrated type jackets.....which ones will save my skin more? and about how much am i lookin at for a good jacket.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: looking for a good first jacket!

Icon, alpinestars, joe rocket, etc., etc. I got a good deal on mine from the kawi website in the clearance section. All of the big name manufacturers have good jackets and leather (non perf) will offer you the best protection. Good luck shopping.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Straight leather is the best for protection and cold weather. But riding with a leather jacket in 80+ degree weather is veryyyyyyyyy uncomfortable. I have a joe rocket textile jacket for the warmer days, and alpinestar's intimidator...or incriminator...something like that for the cooler days.
-Cody

Old 11-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I use4 different jackets depending on the weather. For colder stuff and best protection, I have an old Joe Rocket Speedway jacket, full hard armor and zip out liner. (If I want to ride in the "below 40's" I'll toss on my leather pants, too.) I have an old Motoport Intra jacket, too; medium insulation and very heavy leather; no armor. Medium weather, I use an old AGV Viper perf leather with hard elbow/shoulder armor. And, for the hot stuff I use a Joe Rocket mesh; one of the first generation that had foam armor but was probably too loose to really offer that much serious protection. (But hey, it's a very "cool" jacket temperature-wise.)

Old 11-30-2007, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Most dealers have this yrs jackets on clearance getting ready for the 08 styles.Pretty much anything with armor is a good bet,I have an icon with leather sleaves and armor

Old 01-15-2008, 06:18 PM

I can highly recommend the Joe Rocket Revolution ($145 delivered on eBay). I've owned many jackets and this one "works" for me. Wear it all year round in southern CA. Enough room for a few layers underneath which is great at altitude in the snow. Lots of pockets, very water resistant, seals off everywhere.