Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

helmets

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default helmets

this is just a little comparision between my hjc c-12 helmet and my new shoei rf-900 helmet. my hjc was very comfortable. i paid 90 bucks for it at the dealer and it was yellow/silver/black. i could do and undo the chinstrap with thin cloves on one handed. came with a bag, breathe deflector for antifogging, had defog vents whch could be opened and shut from the inside of my helmet only. and it had chin vents and forhead vents. helmet was noisy, but only in comparision to my new helmet. visors were 30 bucks at the dealer.
my shoei is alot lighter than my hjc, the front visor seals to the helmet when closed when the hjc didn't making it a lot quiter. the fogvent actually works and is able to be closed from the outside. it also has a forhead vent and a exhast vent on the backside. i've ordered the breathe deflector and the neckguard for the helmet. the chin strap for the shoei is still confusing me, very difficult to get on and off. i paid 100 for the shoei used from a friend.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:07 AM
Default RE: helmets

Nice find for the money. I love my HJC but want to upgrade to an Arai next year or maybe the HJC carbon fibre one that thing is so freakin light its scary.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:30 AM
1st Gear Member

i've got an HJC (first helmet) and a Shoei RF1000. Shoei is made a helluva lot nicer, the front seals as described, very easy on/off visor, comfortable, but the HJC actually fits my head better. if the damned visor on the HJC wouldn't pop open at high speed (put a little tape on it, but it sucks) then I'd be stoked. Shoei is way quieter and comfortable though. Anyone know if someone makes helmet for narrow heads like mine that don't suck?

Old 10-15-2006, 03:57 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nemo636

i've got an HJC (first helmet) and a Shoei RF1000. Shoei is made a helluva lot nicer, the front seals as described, very easy on/off visor, comfortable, but the HJC actually fits my head better. if the damned visor on the HJC wouldn't pop open at high speed (put a little tape on it, but it sucks) then I'd be stoked. Shoei is way quieter and comfortable though. Anyone know if someone makes helmet for narrow heads like mine that don't suck?

Try Arai. Their different models fit different shaped heads. I think their website shows you which ones fit what type of head.

My last 2 helmets were HJC CL-14's. I like them. I had one on when I crashed in April and I'm still here to talk about it.

I just bought an Arai RX7 Corsair. I could never wear Arai's or Shoei's because they didn't fit my head right. My parts shop
had me try on a couple Arai's. One fit good and one didn't. The Corsair fit perfect.

I recommend an Arai.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:41 AM

dude i got an hjc helmet and i thought it was the greatest thing on earth until the people i rode with started making fun of me and i could not figure why till i grabbed thier helmets ,arai and souami and then i went and spent 700$ on the tommy guns arai and it has been the best investment of my life i just look at it in how much do u care about ur nogin the helmet is a feather and the material is 10X stronger it worth getting a ggood lid!

Old 10-16-2006, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

I used the Arai RX7 Corsair for years and it is a great helmet, still use it for the track now.

I have used this for about 3 years and like it a lot Schuberth S1

It is very quiet and the visor optics are incredibly clear. The sun shade works as well as any pair of sun glasses and can be on or off with ease. The aerodynamics are very good and I would say better than the Arai, quieter too. The strap is a easy and can be don with gloves on.

Pricey dam helmet but worth it, I have been down once with one that had to be replace and once with the on I am currently using. The styling is not there through, it is rounder then most and only black or one color scheme.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:25 AM
1st Gear Member

as far as protecting your head, the hjc helmet actually ranked higher than any other brand. this test was done by cycleworld i believe, since then shoei and arai have pulled there advertision from them. thats why u see all the icon and hjc adds now.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

That's kinda funny... HJC is supposed to be the budget helmet

Old 11-04-2006, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I read that. They basically said KBC & HJC have models of helmets just as protective, if not moreso than Arai & Shoei, and cost far less. Not all models, and the same applies to even the bigger names, offer that kind of protection. I've got my sights on an Arai Quantum 2 w/Schwantz graphics maybe?

Old 11-04-2006, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a scorpion exo 400. First helmet so I was on a budget when buying. The only downside is the wind noise but I like it a lot better then my friends old shoei he let me try. His would fog up and didn't seem to vent to well while the scorpion never fogs. For the price I would say a scorpion is a damn good helmet. Not only that it has both DOT and Snell certs, can't go wrong with that.

Quick Reply: helmets