Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

dropped helmet

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: dropped helmet

a 2 foot drop? please... if the helmet was damaged by a 2 foot drop it would be extremely fragile.

they put that warning on the helmets to save their hide from someone trying to sue them saying the helmet was defective by them being able to say that it must have been dropped making it weaker. its complete BS.

have you ever seen the cut cross section of a helmet shell? its about 3/16" thick composite. you would hae to hit it with a hammer to potentially put a fatigue crack in one of the inside layers. my helmet has fallen off the seat of my bike a number of times and i have absolutely no concerns about it still being just as good as when i bought it.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:38 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kohburn

a 2 foot drop? please... if the helmet was damaged by a 2 foot drop it would be extremely fragile.
yeeah if that were true, then it would make no sense to buy helmets like arai and such, one slip and it is done, $800 down the drain.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

You'll like the 700, I love mine

Old 12-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I can't count, over 15+ years, how many helmets I have dropped. I still own a helmet that has been dropped off different bikes several times, and it still saved my brain from any worse damage it all ready has from a high corner slide. lol....After the fall, I don't wear that one anymore, but it stays around as a reminder to WARM UP TIRES FIRST! lol

The paint chip.....Napa here has a camera they take a pic of the helmet, match the paint, and whip you up a touch up paint. Perfect match, and chip is gone. Life is good.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:59 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I am not an expert, but a paint chip is different in my thinking than a groove in the structured material. I would toss a grooved helmet, but would ride with a chipped paint helmet.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:11 PM
1st Gear Member

it is defitnitly not a grove, so i think i am ok for a while, or at least until i get something better, (probably soon), as far the color goes i dont really care as long as it is still functional.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

my dad runs the non-destruction testing on aircraft for the navy so i'm pretty familiar with composite failure. the easiest way to see if its damaged is using flash thermography - basily an infrared flash heats the composite for a moment and the camera is able to see any hollow spots, cracks or delamination because those areas conduct heat differently.

i think it would be cool to have somewhere you could have your helmet checked out (especially if it was one of the expensive ones)

Old 12-06-2007, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

nope not that expensive, was the first one i had bought in a long time, so i pussed out on a big money helmet, i might just buy a better one now

Old 01-18-2008, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Helmats are made for ONE impact only... If it hit hard enough to chip it, there are probably cracks you can't see... IMO, $600-$800 for a new helmat is worth saving the possiblity of DEATH... yea, it's expensive, yea it sucks, but that is a small price to pay for being as safe as possible and preventing all of the other retards behind the wheels of their cars from killing you...

That's just me though, I like living too much...

Old 01-18-2008, 05:22 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jacked

Helmats are made for ONE impact only... If it hit hard enough to chip it, there are probably cracks you can't see... IMO, $600-$800 for a new helmat is worth saving the possiblity of DEATH... yea, it's expensive, yea it sucks, but that is a small price to pay for being as safe as possible and preventing all of the other retards behind the wheels of their cars from killing you...

That's just me though, I like living too much...
hahaha, true. If you see a dirt rider wearing a street helmet, it is prolly me!

Quick Reply: dropped helmet