DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your bike as told by your fellow members.

Home made licence plate mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Home made licence plate mod

Alright well I'm sure it looks kinda ghetto in the pictures, but its because my camera really sucks.... Anyway I took off the rear lower fender/licence plate holder and snipped the wires to the rear licence plate light. Keep them long at first till you know where you want your light to be mounted. I decided to go with LED strip made for a Car licence plate but instead i mounted it up behind the battery in the side of the fender along two factory bolts... One spot has a nut welded on it the other is a support for the fender. I used thoes two you may chews a better spot, I was trying to make it as simple as I could in case I have to take it off.... (not sure if its legal in CT? it is a white light, but the box says off road only.... sooooo??) and the licence plate it self needed alittle grinding to make it fit between the two bolts its attached to... The licence plate is not level, but who cares its a dirtbike! Also I know the two points its mounted to are solid and its wont go flying off when its gets nail by a rock... I hope the light is tucked away far enough. Anyway the whole gig cost me $10 and took me a matter of minuets

[IMG]local://upfiles/6903/C26D686937F24D10B60AA1843D7E7C81.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-10-2007, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Home made licence plate mod

the pictures really dont do it justice... it looks pretty mean at night! If police dont scare you too much it would look sick with a green light because the light shines right on top of the tire and makes it look green too

[IMG]local://upfiles/6903/D668BE40245C4BA9AE5DAC7B4C76A2FB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6903/E2CEF7948DCB4C958136AD6CC5E5E306.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6903/3BFF3C4F7DC44A8A80F07EC0E32590F2.jpg[/IMG]

i dont know it looks weird in the pictures because its too low of and angle and close
If you were sitting in a car from behind you dont see where the light is comming from and the wheel has a glow on it... i like it~

Old 10-10-2007, 04:04 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

The licence plate is not level, but who cares its a dirtbike!
I care. Is there something that can make it level and legal at the same time?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:09 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah you can use just one of the mounting holes to the frame/fender and just drill another one and fill the void behind the plate with a washer... fairly easy I guess you could say i didnt go the extra mile to make it perfect... and the light.... you cannnnnn use your old one..... buttttttt its kinda bulky and stick out and doesnt give off a lot of light... sooooo thats why i opted for the slightly skinnier one with a row of LED's (way brighter) ummm as far as legal goes I dont really know if it is or isnt... the kid at autozone said it was but the box said for off road use only sooooo... who knows.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:19 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

the kid at autozone! I am not comfy. You looked on what your regs are? Now is a good time. I am sure you will find a legal means of displaying your plate and still making it look great. For your state that is.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

(I want to know which minuets you were playing at the time; Bach? Vivaldi? Telemann?)

Old 10-20-2007, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

....so far so good, its been on for a few weeks, hasnt brokent yet, police dont care.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Ya gonna show and tell on how you did this mod? Or should this thread be moved?

Old 11-05-2007, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

pretty sure i took care of that in the first posting there captian.... i asked the local police, they said its all legal (p.s. about the level thing... put another hole in your plate if your that ocd about it being level)

Old 11-05-2007, 03:32 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, right on on the ocd then and the local po saying that things are all legal. congrats.

Quick Reply: Home made licence plate mod