DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your bike as told by your fellow members.

92 KZ1000 carb tear down, cleaning and inspection p1

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default 92 KZ1000 carb tear down, cleaning and inspection p1

Ok, finally got off of my duff and needed to get the KZ running. The ride was obtained from a non rider who could not get the "dang thing to run"

As you all know, any carb includes the same basics. This rack from the KZ is the Mikuni BS34X4.

Pulling any rack from a steel framed kawi or hunda is a real pain. Remove the battery, loosen up the airbox, loosen the clamps and slide the airbox to carb boot springs back. Loosen the throttle and return cables on the rack. (You may not be able to remove the cables until you get the rack at a semi-removed position)

Pull up and out to the right of the ride. Takes a bit more force and effort than what you would normally do on a sportbike.

Ok, most of that was from the service manual but I had to add my input to aide in what the manual lacked to mention. lol

ok, pics

Varnish pic, not horrible, but bad enough to cause issues

Name:  DSC03897.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  116.7 KB

Tell me what is wrong in this pic? I was hearing a rattling sound as I was getting the rack off of the bike.

Name:  DSC03901.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  143.6 KB

While the rack was off and parts were being soaked, I inspected the carb boots. Oh Oh, not much more time left for these boots. They are however not cracked all of the way through.

Name:  DSC03904.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  100.6 KB

The pilot plug o rings were toast, so installed a new set. The pilots are still soaking. The mains were bad enough.

Name:  DSC03909.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  115.7 KB

The needle/seat after cleaning pic. They are actually in good condition.

Name:  DSC03908.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  117.1 KB

All of the floats were visually inspected for leaks, and and seemed to be ok.

Will post up float height and adjustments this week.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice pics drag.

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
If I may add, those eight philips head screws can be a biatch to get off to pull the carbs off the rail (at least they were for me). When I was changing the o-rings for the fuel tubes I could only get one of mine out without destroying the head and resorting to vice grips. I swaped them with a M10 hex head bolt and made life easier.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

If I may add, those eight philips head screws can be a biatch to get off to pull the carbs off the rail (at least they were for me). When I was changing the o-rings for the fuel tubes I could only get one of mine out without destroying the head and resorting to vice grips. I swaped them with a M10 hex head bolt and made life easier.
That is a good addition Prom. All of the hardware is soft so going to a grade 5 is a plus. I had to use an impact for a buggered up diaphragm cover panhead bolt.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ok, abit of a delay. Parts and the boots are a stiff piece of crap.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Chop chop brotha, big ride is coming fast.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I needed these pliable/new air ducts badly. They have arrived.

Name:  dsc03975.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  73.0 KB

Old 07-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Mmmmm, don't look now, but you have a jet lurking below the float on #3, and the jet in #4 still needs to come out. Looks like the #'s 1 and 2 jets are also lurking under the floats (unless you put them there to keep track of them....)
There oughtta be a law against putting little rubber pieces into (nearly) inaccessible places! If I was committed to keeping that ride, I'd look into getting O-rings made from Viton rubber (green-ish color and impervious to darn near everything.) Used alot in food grade and medical applications.
Agree, great pics. They belong in the "how to" section and should be basic education for newbs.

Last edited by jeffzx9; 07-28-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:29 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Mmmmm, don't look now, but you have a jet lurking below the float on #3, and the jet in #4 still needs to come out. Looks like the #'s 1 and 2 jets are also lurking under the floats (unless you put them there to keep track of them....)
hahaha, that is exactly what I was hopeing people would see. Mains do fall out and yet some people ask how come their bike does not run well. That is how the bike was obtained on the cheap.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

So, do I advance to the "bonus round?"
What do I win????

Old 08-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ok, project is completed. The new ducts allowed me to install the rack in maybe 20 minutes over the 2hrs of fighting with the old non-pliable ones. Adjusted the throttle play and next is the testing with placing an inline filter prior to this of course.

Quick Reply: 92 KZ1000 carb tear down, cleaning and inspection p1