DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your bike as told by your fellow members.

1980 KZ650 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Default 1980 KZ650 Problems

I am working on my neighbors 1980 KZ 650 LTD he brought it to me to get running my su****ion was the carburetors so I took those off cleaned them put them back together tried to start bike it didn't run. So after some more trouble shooting I found that the points had absolutely no gap so after setting the gap for the points I got it to run not very well though. Under a load it wanted to die and had no power and also if you blipped the throttle quickly it would want to die. Occasionally it would backfire so after ordering new points since the old ones were pitted and I tried to resurface them, I spent all day today putting the new ones on and finally got it running again. It still runs like crap I have the ignition timing set correctly according to the manual and other forum posts i've read. So I pulled the spark plugs to just look at them the two on the right side number 3 and 4 are white and gray looking they looked fine to me the one on the far left number one cylinder still looked brand new and the number 2 spark plug was black and smelled like fuel. I replaced the plugs with new ones and checked for spark on all of them especially number two since it was fouled with fuel and they all had spark put it back together still ran like crap. The motor sounds like its only running on 3 cylinders so to test this theory I pulled the number two spark plug wire off while the bike was running and didn't hear a change in the motor at all so I pulled the spark plug and it was fouled again. The rest all look fine the number 2 carb is the one that has the accelerator pump on it. I pulled the carbs thinking there must be a problem with that carb in particular I pulled the small square accelerator pump cover off and also the triangle one. Something I have done before when I cleaned the carburetors I never replaced the gaskets in there so I figured I would do that well after looking at Bikebandit.com microfiche on the carbs It said they are diaphragms not gaskets. This is where I am confused It shows on the microfiche that the accelerator pump has two diaphragms which are extremely expensive for a small piece of rubber and also a small spring is supposed to be inside one of the covers. The accelerator pump on this bike didn't have a spring or diaphragms only gaskets to seal it up. I know the guys bike ran fine for years so what gives is it supposed to have the diaphragms and spring or can I get by just buying some gasket material and covering it back up like it was? Also what else could be the problem why its immediately fouling out the spark plug?