Z1 900 Carb problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
stay with F degrees. lol

Replace the tank cap gaskets and that will of course stop the leak and most likely the 1/3 tank full of fuel issue. Not sure if a replacement cap is needed, but a check in your fiche should be of usefull information.

Have you pulled the rack back off and verified cleanliness and adjustments yet since your first post?

I've set the plug gap to .028 (it was way off), ordered a new gas cap without the fuel gauge but it's not in yet. I played with the timing, checked the coils.. oh yah I forgot to mention that it was converted to electronic ignition.
I talked to the previous owner and he told me that he checked the numbers on the jets and they were not the proper ones for this bike so I ordered 4 rebuild kits.

the best I can get it to work it runs fine for about 15min of riding and fouls #1 cylinder.. so I'm not going to mess with it anymore until the carbs are rebuilt and tuned

Old 09-20-2010, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

well isn't that something.. I was looking for gas caps and could not figure out why I could not find the same one that my bike had.. looks like someone put a cap from a honda cb400f on there with a gauge.

I ordered a stock gas cap to replace this one.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like its coming along, fouling the plugs could come from the jetting issue, but the pods make it tough to jet properly. Keep us up to date bro!

Old 09-28-2010, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member

a little update
bike is pretty much apart, a few bad thing happened last night, took it for a short ride and the splines on my shifter peg and also the shaft stripped so the peg fell off, I tried for an hour to get it in at least 3rd gear with a pair of plyers but it was no use so I had to slowly drive it a few kilometers home in 1'st gear by the time I got home the clutch was stuck so I'll have to check that out and see why I cannot disengage it.
to get home I just sped up and coasted, sped up and coasted and kept it under 4000rpm when speeding up so I didn't overheat the engine. by the time I did it the 3rd time I just could not disengage the clutch. The cable and mechanism on the left side of the bike seem to be in good working order, so the problem is on the clutch side.

my Sudco carb rebuild kits came in and I had some time to rebuild one of them tonight, I'll finish the rest of them tomorrow, maybe bring them to my local machine shop to get a proper cleaning in there de-greaser machine.

since the carbs leaked gas it ruined the paint on the engine, so most of the parts are off right now and going to get powder coated.

the tank, tail and other plastics are going for paint, I'm thinking something like Chrysler 300c black, nice and dark but has a nice speckle to it.

that's about all I can think of right now.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

good news, I rebuilt the carbs and they work great.. no more leaking gas and the worn parts have been replaced.
I was still having an issue with fouling plugs, it was actually running worse now. But I found out that the bike has an aftermarket ignition system made by Boyer Bransden, I figured that maybe the coils might be dead, but I swapped the plugs with a set of resistor plugs and everything is fine now.
for the first time the bike runs smooth, no fire shooting out of the exhaust, or fouling plugs instantly, I can rev it above 4000rpm withouth ignition breakup.

The clutch issue was just stripped threads on the GSXR clutch lever adjuster and it just fell in so I didn't have enough throw in the lever to disengage the clutch.

now since the carbs are basically stock the bike is going in to get dyno tuned for the intake pods and exhaust, but I am verry happy how it runs now. for the first time it has power.

I held off on the powdercoat and paint for now, I'm just going to wait untill the season is over.. only a few more weeks to enjoy it before it gets too cold out.

Last edited by kawibob; 10-02-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the progress and thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
Congrats on the progress and thanks for keeping us in the loop.
no problem.. still having a little issue with the plugs, after a long time they will start to get dirty and foul.. but I only have 9.5-10v getting to the coils, so I'm going to wire in a relay and some new wire directly to the coils and see if that can give me a better spark.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I am so frustrated at this piece of crap I'm about to huck it in a dumpster. Every day I pull apart the carbs, adjust the floats for the cyl that's fouling out and then another one fouls out, or all of them.
so I rewired the coils, installed a relay.. I was getting 9v to them, so i thought WOW this has to be my problem, runs better now and I have spark better than before but I still get sputtering, backfiring, can't go full throttle or it just bogs out and goes nowhere, then after 20ish min or riding some random cylinder, or all of them just foul out.
engine has good compression
I've tried every setting with the floats, I can get some cylinders to run perfect.. plug is tan/brown, when the one next to it is black, so I adjust that one and they all go black.. this bike is cursed, I'm about to built an intake manifold with injectors and go through the trouble of installing a microsquirt fuel controller before tearing these carbs apart one more time. There HAS to be something I'm missing..

ahhhh, sorry I am just frustrated and don't know what the issue could be now.

Last edited by kawibob; 10-09-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:40 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, it is cool kawibob. Did you by chance check the carb synch? diaphragm cracks and hose cracks? The boots are a killer on the KZ rides. Verify those at the same time. Hopefully I did not duplicate myself on these checks. Hell, if you get tired of it, send that nice ride to me. Oh, get a front fender for it and secure that front brake line better.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:41 AM

If the carbs have not been cleaned and balanced it can have an adverse effect on the spark plugs. Sounds like a problem I had back in 1972 with my 9. Had the carbs rebuilt and balanced and solved it.