1984 gpz 900 r questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 10:11 PM
Default 1984 gpz 900 r questions

I just got a 84 gpz 900 r and when I go to the dealer to look for stuff they look at me like I'm riding a alien battleship.
I wanted to rebuild the front forks but I read somewhere that I have a air suspention on this bike.also I'm trying to get my idle right because it has a bad misss between 2k and 4 and half k
It won't idle unless I have the choke on 3/4
Can anyone here help?or direct me some way?I'm pretty good with engines but not bikes and being new to sport bikes and las vegas isn't helping .
Thanks in advance ?

Old 11-05-2006, 01:20 AM
Default RE: 1984 gpz 900 r questions

Iplanas,
Why would the fact that the bike has air shocks stop you from rebuilding them? I have an '87 600R that uses the same(more or less) forks as your 900. I had no problem changing the seals and bushings, if thats what you mean by "rebuild". The real problem can be those damned anti-dive units. They usually fail in the actuated position causing the forks to be overly stiff. Used ones are hard to come by, and they are almost allways broken. New ones are available, but they cost $133 a piece. Hopefully yours are OK. As far as the rough idle and flat spot are concerned, I also had the same problem when I first got my bike. the culpret turned out to be a cracked carb float. Also available for $30. I got mine from Old Bike Barn, or Bike Bandit, I can't remember which. Hope the info is helpfull. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2006, 02:40 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence.I since posting this took a shot at rebuilding the forks and got it done,Took a bit of time and the air scared me but as it went along it was easy.The anti dive still works i think,the fronts arent stiff heck there a bit soft but now since i redid the seals i dont get blasted with oil on my legs.
Im going to take a look at the carb floats since you mentioned it,Seems that the bike is acting weird.Now when i ride for about 30 mins it starts to drop cylinders it seems ,and then it just shuts off.After a few mins i can start it back up but it misses like crazy.If i leave the bike alone for a hour or so it runs kinda ok with just a light miss and pop,im trying to adjust the af but it still is running fat.I took the carbs apart once and the main jets were 120s and accoring to the repair manuaul i checked out of the libaray it says its supposed to have 100s.Now it dosent have the stock exhaust "It has a v&h ss header and single pipe"
so i dont know if 120s are correct for the setup.
Anyone have any info on this?
Thanks

Old 11-05-2006, 04:18 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Glad that you worked out the fork issue.
To use 3/4 choke and still using in the 2k-4k range when she burps?. Yup, I agree with goodtimes in checking the floats and float heights.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:23 AM

anyone have a good way to check float heights,The manal shows one way to do it but im kinda guessing theres a easier or more trusted method
Thanks again guys

Old 11-05-2006, 04:42 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Turn the rack upside down and I use my verniers. I too do not know of a better way to check float height.

Old 11-05-2006, 04:58 AM

Ok Ill do that,As far as height should i go off the specs in the book?Because it says to check height using a tube and fuel with the carbs in the upright position,But using calipers would make more sense and be more accurate.
Thanks again guys its been really fun working on the bike and well worth the exprience,and its just great to be able to then take it for a ride and enjoy the roads that LV has to offer

Old 11-05-2006, 06:04 PM

The best way to check float hieght is the way it says in the manual. Use a piece of clear plastic tubing attached to the bottom of the float bowl. Then open the float drain and hold the tubing against the side of the carb. the fuel level should be 1mm above the top of the bowl. Make sure all of your floats are good before you try to check the level this way. I still don't get why the air in your forks freaks you out? please explain.
I must know.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:10 PM

Oh yeah, don't forget to remove the carbs from the bike first. And mount them to a piece of wood so that they are plumb and level. I use bunjy (bungie?) cords to strap the carbs to the pegboard on the back of my workbench. Then use a small level to true them up.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:29 PM

the air freaked me out at first because i work with airbags and hydros on cars all the time and they can become tricky to rebuild.
Ill check the floats today and see how it works out

Quick Reply: 1984 gpz 900 r questions