Bike won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Default Bike won't start

Can anyone suggest anything?
I have a 1995 Vulcan 750 that I bought back in March. It ran without any problems until about 2 weeks ago. I would ride it at least 3 or 4 times a week until then. Now it will not start. It tries to turn over for about a half a second but then it seems to loose all power to it except the lights. It does this with each push of the starter button. I first thought that it was just a battery problem and when I checked it, it was dry, so I bought a new one and filled it and charged it and it is in great shape, but bike still will not start. I tried to jump the solenoid to see if that was the problem, but it just gave me the same reaction as pushing the starter button. It will start if I pop the clutch and it will run without any problems for as long as I want (tested for 1 hour ride), but when I turn it off, it will not start on its own no matter how long I wait.

If anyone can, any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.
[&o]

Old 09-24-2006, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bike won't start

Welcome to the forums....

Wow... Could be short in starter. Bad battery cable. Bad conncection.

I would say break out the multimeter. Check voltage, etc, at starter. While holding the voltmeter there, have someone hit the start button. Read what the voltage says until it loses power. Still have 12 volts? 9.6 volts? Lose all power at that point? Then trace backwards from there.

GL man

Old 09-24-2006, 06:17 AM

Thanks.

I should be able to test it all by Monday.

Thanks again.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:21 PM

Found out what it was. there is a short between the starter switch and the starter. i accidentally found this out by hitting the starter button with my forks turned to the right. it will start every time I do that only. if i try it with the forks straight or to the left, the previous symptoms still occur. can ride it for now but will fix soon.
CNote