vulcan 500 knocking

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 07:27 AM
Default vulcan 500 knocking

any help with this will be appreciated. my stupid *** let my friend try and ride my bike down the street in my neighborhood, 10 seconds later he gets freaked out by a curb and lays it down on the shifter side of the bike. i freaked out and ran to help him pick it up, rode it back to my yard and noticed the oil and temp lights were on so i turned it off and inspected it to see damage. there was nothing but a scrape in the exhaust. a few minutes later i started it and the oil and temp lights came on for a min then turned off, so rode it down the block to see if there was anything i could notice wrong, there was. there was a slight knocking that made a noticeable sound and slight vibration, it seems to be coming from the side of the engine that was layed down. i had no choice but to ride it back to college that night (a 100 mile drive) because i had class in the morning, on the way it seemed to have slightly less power. could anyone tell me what it could be? my guess is valves but i want to get some oppinions. it kind of sounds like a exhaust leak but i could not find one.

p.s. when he layed it down he did not hit the kill switch and it was still in gear, so when i got to him the back wheel was free-spinning, just thought i should throw that in there

Old 08-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: vulcan 500 knocking

Man...Wierd. I have layed a lot of bikes over, and never had one start knocking cause of it.

Oil maybe? Maybe the oil got into the cylinders, and it's locked. Liquid does not compress. Double check the oil level and make sure it is still full.

I can't see the vlaves getting knocked out of whack from that. It's no worse than hitting a pothole.

How long did it stay running on it's side? Longer than 10 seconds or so?

Old 08-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Default RE: vulcan 500 knocking

about 15 seconds or so, it wasnt completly on its side, but more laying on top of my friend's leg. if it is oil in the cylinder, how could i fix that?

also, it kindof sounds like a exhaust leak, because the bike's exhaust is below the frame so thats what gets hit when its layed down, how could i check for a leak? put soap around the gasket?