any one own a 500 Ltd

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default any one own a 500 Ltd

my wife is thinking about a bike and i was wondering if anyone has any info on the Ltd

thanks

Old 12-24-2007, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: any one own a 500 Ltd

It just so happens that I do have some info on a 500LTD. I bought one for my wife right before I shipped out. I got to ride it for a couple of weeks. It's a very comfortable bike with a predictable power curve (no surging suprises). It's got a pretty low seat height. It's really pretty light. Check my gallery if you want to see some pictures of it. It's a really good beginner bike. I would highly recommend it... especially for the price. It gets about 50MPG, has enough power to keep me from getting completely bored, and is very practical. The only thing I don't like about it is the helmet hook, which puts your helmet right on top of the hot exhaust. Other than that, it's a pleasure to ride. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info Vic. I was thinking it might be a good choice for her. It is a good lookin bike too! i was hoping it had enough power, sounds good.

thanks again
Merry Christmas

Old 12-26-2007, 09:32 AM
1st Gear Member

It has the engine from a Ninja 500... plenty of power. It's even enough to keep me amused.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:30 AM

yoman1, my wife has a 2006 Vulcan 500. We are selling it because we are not riding enough together. It has been a great bike for her. If you are looking at a used one let me know. Hers is in excellent condition, andis under factory warranty until 06/09. It has the factory windshield, rear back rest with rack, and engine guard. I am located in Charles City Va, and have it on cycle trader.com. I will be glad to send you some additional information if you are interested.Thanks David.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey man thanks. I'm gonna get her into the MSF course and see if she really wants to ride. so were not really prepared to leap right now. i did look at the ad though not a bad price, looks nice. good luck on the sale.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the reply yoman1. The MSF course is excellent. I had been riding off road for years, andstill learned some good techniques and skills. Take care.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:08 AM

I like my bike for the most part. I've had it for two seasons now. I love how small it is and how low the seat is. I like the engine and the six-speed lets you keep it where you want it in the power band.

The only reliability problems I've had have been with the battery. I've ran it down once (left the lights on) and didn't recharge after my jump, which caused some riding problems on the next ride, then had it drain on me during a couple nights out in the cold. I'll probably replace it next spring for peace of mind. Oh, and I had a fork seal blow at 6k miles which wasn't explained.

One complaint I have is with long distance riding. I don't have a windshield, so the wind is kinda bad, but I'll deal. It's the seat I have the biggest problem. It's wide and soft, which puts my butt to sleep, and it has a curve at the back that puts all shocks from the road into my tail bone. I start to really hate it after 1.5 hours or so, though the leather pants I got have some padding in the area that helps.

It'll handle the interstate (100 mph indicated (shhh....)), but I don't like it for long stretches. The wind is a problem and there is little pep left at 75 mph. It'll go faster but not quickly.

Asan around the town and short trip bike, it's great. There are some problems with long rides that are hard to overcome. Personally, I'm really glad I learned to ride on the bike and it will entertain me for a few more years, but if I had the cash, I'd trade up to a slightly larger bike with a more standard seating position to be more in line with my riding style.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:39 AM

I have an '06 500 and I love it. I had never riden before, took the motorcycle safety course and started on an eliminator 125. Moved up after just three months as it didn't have enough power. It was a good bike for me to learn on though and I'm glad I did. I looked at several bikes before deciding on the 500. I am completely happy with it. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2008, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a 94 500 and I love it. The only complaint i have about it is that it is damn near impossible to find aftermarket stuff for it. I have been looking for highway pegs for it since i got it and they do not exist. If i could put some pegs on the bike i would be in heaven though.

its a nice bike i have enough power to get outta trouble and im 240 lbs. lol. i get about 40-45 MPG i plan on keeping this bike till i finish with college and then moving up to something bigger but for a beginner its the perfect bike.

Quick Reply: any one own a 500 Ltd