New bike question, Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 04:35 AM
Default New bike question, Please help

I just purchased a 2005 mean streak. I bought it off the showroom floor. The bike had never been started. I walked outside with the mechanic. The mechanic fueled the bike up and started it. There was a bad knocking sound from the engine. The mechanic said that the engine was knocking because the oil pump was trying to pump oil up into the upper engine.

Is this the correct procedure? I’m worried that the engine was damaged. The knock eventually went away. I’m no mechanic but I’m worried that the valves were damaged.

I've got about 150 miles and the bike with no knocking at least that I notice.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New bike question, Please help

I am no mechanic but sounds like BS to me. I do not trust the stealership anyway.

Although my 95 ZX7 makes a knocking sound when its starts too.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Old 09-28-2005, 08:22 PM

You might want to make sure the dealer notes the problem on your paper work before it get to late so if there is a problem later, it will get taken care of under some form of warranty

Old 10-06-2005, 09:46 PM

i have an 01 nomad and mine will do that if it sits for a week or longer, it never used to do that but the 3 dealers I have called all say it is normal and won't look at it. So I just make sure I run it if I am not gonna be riding. They also told me when they receive the bikes new they will do that on the first start. Seems to me they should prime it. But I have an extended warranty and they said they would fix it if it blew up so who knows.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:16 AM

We just picked up an 06 Nomad and have not heard that yet. It is a sweet bike and very happy with the product. It sounds like a dry engine start up with the knock that you heard. As a mechanic myself, most engines will have a knock if the oil pump is not primed to deliver oil to the bearings right away. As long and the first start did not recieve an high rev you should be ok. It usually takes about 15-20 seconds for a new pump on any NEW engine to start doing it's thing. Keep a good eye on the oil level and don't cheat on your first factory authorized dealer service.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:00 AM

You bike will be alright. As long as it didn't over heat.
Fattkaw