Airbox question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:10 AM
Default Airbox question

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum too and have an 06 Meanie with some mods that include 3" HC straights, a PC111, and a K&N filter in the stock airbox. I've had it since April and have about 6500 miles on her so far. I really love it and think that it is one of the best bikes you can get anywhere. I didn't want to upgrade the air flow any more thanchanging to a K&Nfilter because I was afraid of getting water or dirt in the fi or at least clogging the filter(s) at night, which would, of course, be inthe middle of nowhere andriding in the rain. Can someone tell me if that is a valid concern orif I ambecoming neurotic?(I ride in pretty much any weather) and........... what will it do to change performance? (The worth it or not question.)
I am not new to riding but I am to Kawasaki and to any forum.

Thanks for any help with these questions.

Ride free, ride often, and remember to keep thehandlebars in front.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Airbox question

Welcome to the forums!
Switching to a K&N or BMC air filter won't cause any significant change in the airflow; enough to have to re-jet or re-map if that's what you're asking. The oily medium helps trap the dirt a bit better than the paper jobs. Your concerns about getting water and dirt into the airbox and clogging the filter are pretty much unfounded; if you get so much water and dirt in the airbox as to cause a problem, you'll have other moresignificant problems first! "Performance change?" Probably minimal, but the "better filtration" issue makes it worth it in my book.
Glad to hear you're an "all weather" rider!!(I suspect too many on this site only ride when the sun's shining and it's above 75 degrees.) I'll be glad to ride with you any time.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:36 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

streeker, I have ran my zx7 since '90 using a k&n in Oregon. Some moisture happens in Oregon most of the time. Never had an issue with it or the ride.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:46 AM

I also live in Oregon and ride year round on a meastreak, I have used several filters and have never had a moisture or clogging problem. I ride in the rain regularly here. The only time I wont ride is when the roads have ice on em. You should be good to go!